The Landesmuseum Zürich was built by Gustav Gull in the historicist style as a castle-like building and completed in 1898. It is located just north of the Zürich main train station. The building was designed so that entier historically important rooms from all over Switzerland could be dismantled and reinstalled inside the museum. Since 2010, it is part of the Swiss National Museum. The new wing by the Basel architects Christ & Gantenbein was inaugurated in 2016. During the renovations between 2016 and 2019, the historical rooms were largely restored to their original state, closed atriums and windows were opened again and the decorative tiled floors were reconstructed.