Château de Prangins was built in 1732 for Paris banker, Louis Guiguer. In 1814, the Guiguer family sold the castle to Joseph Bonaparte, the brother of Napoleon Bonaparte. In 1975, it became the property of the Swiss government and is now used as one of the three locations of the Swiss National Museum.
While there are some hypothesis regarding the 18th century architect of Château de Prangins, so far, it has not been possible to confirm definitively one of them. Château de Prangins was restored and converted into a museum between 1990 and 1996. The museum was inaugurated in June 1998.
One of the permanent exhibitions at Château de Prangins is "Noblesse Oblige! Life at a Château in the 18th Century" showing the day-to-day life of a noble family. It is located in the former reception rooms of Château de Prangins, the salon, dining rooms and libraries.
The other two locations of the Swiss National Museum are Landesmuseum Zürich and Forum Schweizer Geschichte.