The Kunstmuseum Thun is housed at the ground level of the former Grand Hotel Thunerhof, inside the former dining room.
The Thunerhof was built in 1875 to the plans by Paul Adolphe Tièche. The neo-Renaissance hotel building is 60 meters long, 30 meters wide and has a height of 20 meters. It features a spectacular staircase and atrium. The hotel closed in 1934 and since 1942 the building is used by city administration.