Espace Arlaud in Lausanne was constructed in 1840 to plans by Swiss architect Louis Wenger. Under the direction of painter Marc-Louis Arlaud, its top floor was used by the art museum, Musée Arlaud, the entry level by the Cantonal Art School and the two lower levels by a primary school.
In 1904, Musée Arlaud moved into the Palais de Rumine, just a few steps across the Place de la Riponne. On this occasion, it was renamed Musée Cantonal des Beaux-Arts (MCBA). The Cantonal Art School moved into its new building in 1964 and is now named ECAL.
The building was renovated between 1995 and 1997 under the direction of architects Lorenz Bräker and Florence Kontoyanni. Espace Arlaud is now used for temporary exhibitions across all four floors. During the renovations, a new staircase was added between the two lower and the two upper floors which didn't have any connection previously.