Architectural Landmarks in La Chaux-de-Fonds

Founded in 1656, La Chaux-de-Fonds developed into an important center of the watch making industry. It was partially destroyed by a fire in 1794 and then rebuilt following a grid street plan, reflecting watchmakers’ need of rational organization. Karl Marx described it as a “huge factory-town” in Das Kapital. Today a Unesco World Heritage Site together with Le Locle, it is also renowned for its Art Nouveau buildings. Among the famous people born in La Chaux-de-Fonds, let’s just name Louis Chevrolet, born in 1878, who would become the co-founder of the Chevrolet Motor Car Company in 1911 and Charles-Édouard Jeanneret, also known as Le Corbusier, born in 1887.

Théâtre de l'Heure bleue
1837
Ancien Manège
1855 - 1857
Synagogue de La Chaux-de-Fonds
1894 - 1896
Domaine des Tourelles
1897
Anciens Abattoirs
1900
Crématoire
1909
Villa Schwob
1912-1916
Musée des beaux-arts de La Chaux-de-Fonds
1926
Salle de Musique
1951
Temple Saint-Jean
1972
Musée international d'horlogerie
1972-1974
Tour Espacité
1992 - 1994
Japanese Garden
Back to Top