The history of the ethnography Museum of Cultures in Basel goes back to the 19th century. Its collection contains more than 300000 objects and 50000 photographies.
In 1849, the museum moved into its current building, designed by Swiss architect Melchior Berri and located on the site of the Augustinian monastery at the Basel Münster hill. It was extended between 1915 and 1917 to plans by Vischer Architekten. The most recent modifications to its building were done between 2008 and 2010 according to a design by Herzog & de Meuron.