The Musée d'ethnographie de Genève (MEG) was founded by Eugène Pittard in 1901. It moved into its current location on boulevard Carl Vogt in 1939, initially using a former primary school building.
The MEG's new pagoda-shaped building was designed by architectural practice Graber Pulver Architekten and inaugurated in 2014.
The ground floor of the building contains the ticket office, a museum shop and the cafeteria, while the exhibition rooms and an auditorium are located in the basement and below the planted, public square. The upper levels of the building serve for cultural outreach workshops, as well as a library.
Located in the triangular vault of the building’s attic, with natural light flowing in through the diamond-shaped windows, Marie-Madeleine Lancoux library feels like a church-like space.