The construction of the Cathedral Notre Dame of Lausanne started in 1170 and its principal architect in the 13th century was Jean Cotereel. Lausanne Cathedral was consecrated in 1275 by Pope Gregory X. It is one of the main Gothic monuments in Switzerland. Since 1536 it is dedicated to Protestant worship.
Its tower has one of the best views over Lausanne. Lausanne is also one of the few cities that has maintained the tradition of a lookout (guet de la cathédrale). Since 1405 without interruption until today the official lookout announces the time from 10 pm to 2 am.
The portail peint (painted portal) was built in the 13th century. Until 1515, it was used as the main entrance. After the reformation it was covered with whitewash. These days, for conservation reasons, it is protected by glass windows.
Today's entrance, the portail Montfalcon was rebuilt several times. The version we see now is the work of sculptor Raphaël Lugeon, realised between 1894 and 1909.
Cathédrale de Lausanne is almost 100m long and has an interior height of 42m.
The stained glass windows of the rose of Lausanne were made between 1205 and 1232, most probably by Pierre d'Arras.
In February 2019, Renato Häusler, the Cathedral lookout, illuminated the interior using 3700 candles !