The Stadthalle Zürich was built in 1906 to plans by architect Oscar Brennwald. The multipurpose hall for up to 1400 spectators was then the biggest in Switzerland and hosted conferences, boxing matches and political meetings. With the opening of the Zürich congress center in 1939, it became more and more difficult to keep the Stadthalle profitable and in 1949, it was converted into a parking garage by adding intermediate concrete floors !
After 2017, the building was renovated by Burkhalter Sumi architects and is now used by Switzerland Tourism.
An almost 30 meter long tunnel leads visitors and employees from the street to the Stadthalle.
During the renovations, parts of the concrete floors have been opened to create atriums that allow natural light to reach each floor.
A curved ramp with brass balustrades take up the theme of the entrance tunnel.