The Hill Street Police Station building was designed by J.F. McNair and Frank Dorrington Ward, chief architect of the Public Works Department, and opened in 1934. At the time, the six-storey building was the largest government building in Singapore. Modern for its time, it even featured flushing toilets and electric lifts. Declared a national monument in 1998, it is now home to the Ministry of Communications and Information and the Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth. Its 927 window shutters have been painted in shades of rainbow colours in 1997.
In the triangular courtyard, the sculpture "Big Bang" by late Brother Joseph McNally, founder of the Lasalle College of the Arts, can be seen.