Schloss Wildegg is located near the village of Wildegg in Aargau. It was built by the Habsburgs in the first half of the 13th century. Between 1483 and 1912, it belonged to the Effinger family. In 1552, due to lightning, the castle burned down almost completely and was rebuilt over a period of several years. Starting 1684 the complex was converted into the Baroque style. The last of member of the Effinger family, Julie von Effinger, died in 1912 and bequeathed the castle to the Swiss Confederation. The castle was been a museum since.