Mentioned for the first time in 988, the church underwent major renovations in the second half of the 15th century and was equipped with a bell that could be heard throughout the valley. With the transition of Bregaglia to the reformation, the church was left to decay. The brothers Giovanni and Bortolo of Castelmur acquired the site in 1839 and restored the church to plans of Italian architect Giovanni Crassi Marliani.
The glass windows are by Giovanni Bertini and the painting was created by Melchior Paul von Deschwanden in 1841
Giovanni, his wife, his brother Bortolo and other close relatives are buried in the crypt.