The "Thun Panorama" building was designed by Swiss architect Karl Keller and constructed between 1960 and 1961.
The rotunda uses a reinforced concrete skeleton and red bricks as facade elements. The red bricks are a reference to the nearby Schloss Schadau.
The extension building, completed in 2014, was designed by architects Niklaus Graber and Christoph Steiger. It houses the new entrance area, a bistro and shop, as well as an exhibition area for temporary exhibitions.
The Thun panorama building is home to the circular painting created by Marquard Wocher and completed in 1814. It is the oldest 360 degree panorama painting to have survived. It has a height of 7.5m and a length of 38m.