The Barfüßerkirche in Basel was built between 1275 and 1309. Its name is due to the fact that it was the monastery church of the mendicant Franciscans. In 1529, during the Reformation, it was looted and its stained glass windows destroyed. It was then used as a warehouse.
The Barfüßerkirche became home to the Basel Historical Museum after renovations in 1894. On its over 6000 square meters of exhibition space, it shows in particular the treasury of the Basel Cathedral, the Basel and Strasbourg tapestries, and altars and ecclesiastical graphic works.
The choir of the Barfüsserkirche has the same height as Sainte-Chapelle in Paris. It is flooded by light through thirteen 12 meter heigh windows. Originally, it had a flat wooden ceiling; the current vault was added during the renovations between 1890 and 1894.