The history of the Musée d'Art et d'Histoire in Geneva goes back to the foundation of the Musée des Beaux Arts in 1826. The institution was acquired by the City of Geneva in 1851 and as the collections grew over time, a new building started to be necessary.
After an architecture competition was held in 1900, the neoclassical museum building was constructed between 1903 and 1910 to plans by Swiss architect Marc Camoletti. With a surface area of 7,000 square meters, the Musée d'Art et d'Histoire in Geneva is one of the largest museums in Switzerland.
The sculpture Venus et Adonis by the Italian Neoclassical artist Antonio Canova is one of the masterpieces of the museum. It was created between 1789 and 1794. It was purchased by Geneva scholar and politician Guillaume Favre in 1820.
The MAH's collections today contain more than 650000 items.