Château de Grandson was originally built in the second half of the 11th century and then rebuilt in the 13th century. Today it is one of the best-preserved medieval fortresses in Switzerland.
Château de Grandson was located on the shore of Lake Neuchâtel until 1875, when the level of the lake was lowered in order to reduce the flood-risk in the area.
The walkway goes all around the castle and can be walked in its entire length of more than 150 meters.
In 1875 Baron Gustave de Bloney purchased the Grandson castle and proceeded with several transformations and restoration in a medieval style. The Knights' Hall was designed around 1880 by architect Gustav Kelterborn from Basel who incorporated Italian stalls from the 17th century.
Since 1982, Château de Grandson belongs to the SKKG, the Foundation for Art, Culture and History.