Construction of the Duomo di Milano, Italy’s largest church, went on for almost 6 centuries: it began in 1386 and it was completed only in 1965 ! Its facade uses Candoglia marble. At least 78 different head architects worked at the Duomo. And then, there are of course also the thousands of artists, sculptors and specialized construction workers !
The San Giovanni Bono chapel is located in the right transept and its altar was created by Italian sculptor Elia Vincenzo Buzzi in 1763. Using polychrome marble it depicts San Giovanni Bono trampling on heresy.
With 3400 statues, 135 gargoyles and 700 figures, there are more statues on the Milan Cathedral than on any other building in the world !