Built in the 14th century, Krakow's St. Mary's Basilica (Kościół Mariacki) is one of the best examples of Polish Gothic architecture. It is a UNESCO world heritage site since 1978.
It is unknown why its two towers have different height and architecture. At 82m, the North tower is taller and is crowned with a Gothic cupola. It was completed in 1478. The South tower is 69 meters heigh and has a late-Renaissance cupola, completed in 1592. It serves as the bell tower.
The polychrome murals date from the 19th century and are the work of Polish painter Jan Matejko and his students. Unfortunately, they didn't preserve well over time and had to be restored already twice: the first time in 1929 and the second time at the end of the 20th century.