The history of University of Fribourg, Switzerland's only bilingual university, goes back to 1580.
The Miséricorde campus was built between 1939 and 1941 on the site of the former Miséricorde cemetery. The plans were designed by Swiss architect Denis Honegger in collaboration with Fernand Dumas. The use of concrete is one of the peculiarities of the buildings as no natural stone at all was used. The concrete is not smooth, but was chiseled by hand to give it its texture.
Université de Fribourg currently has about 10000 students.