The Alte Nationalgalerie is located on Berlin's Museum Island and as such was added in 1999 to the UNESCO World Heritage List. It was built between 1867 and 1876 to initial plans by Friedrich August Stüler. Its architecture tries to express "the unity of art, nation, and history", and therefore contains features reminiscent of a theatre (such as the grand staircase) and a temple.
The dome hall, located on the 2nd floor, was damaged by a bomb during World War II and rebuilt after 1945. During the 1999 - 2001 renovations, the original wall colors were reconstructed using paint traces that could still be found in the museum building.
The renovations, planned by architectural practice HG Merz, also allowed to add further exhibition spaces on the 3rd floor of the building, now showing works by Caspar David Friedrich and Karl Friedrich Schinkel.