Designed by Antoni Jawornicki for the Hotel and Sanatorium Construction and Operation Society Helvetia, and constructed between 1923 and 1928, the building at Kopernika 36/40 actually never served as a hotel.
With a height of over 47 meters, it was among the tallest buildings in Warsaw at the time. But due to the investor's financial problems, the building was taken over by Polish insurance company Powszechny Zakład Ubezpieczeń Wzajemnych (General Mutual Insurance Institution).
After World War II, the building was reconstructed between 1947 and 1948. These days, both the OPZZ and the National Heritage Board of Poland have offices there.