University of Ottawa's roots go back to 1848 when the Oblate Order founded the College of Bytown as a bilingual catholic school. Tabaret Hall is named after Father Joseph-Henri Tabaret under who's leadership between 1853 and 1861, Bytown College became an official university.
Tabaret Hall is a large, four-storey building. It was designed in the Greek neo-classical style by New York architect A.O. Von Herbulis and inaugurated in 1905.