The origins of the textile museum in St. Gallen go back to the sample collections for the region’s textile industry that started to be created in 1863. In 1878 the "Industry and Trade Museum St. Gallen" was founded and it moved into its purpose built historicist home, the Palazzo Rosso, in 1886. Its building is based on a design submitted by Gustav Gull to the 1884 architecture competition for which he received the second price (no first price was awarded). This design was then revised by Emil Wild.
The textile library, located on the first floor of the museum, contains sample books, catalogues, fashion sketches and photographs.