Originally built in 1723 for Johannes Redolfi, Palazzo Castelmur in Coltura near Stampa (Val Bregaglia) was purchased around 1850 by Baron Giovanni of Castelmur who renovated and expanded the building. Today it belongs to the municipality and can be visited as a museum during the summer months.
The striking facade in the Lombardian/Venetian gothic style is part of the 1850s expansion, carried out by various Milanese craftsmen such as engineer and architect Giovanni Crassi-Marliani and stonemason Giovanni Pedrazzini.
The walls and ceilings of many rooms are decorated with trompe-l'oeil paintings by Gaspare Tirinanzi. The furniture and wallpapers are in the style of the mid-19th century.
In one of the tower rooms, the paintings create the illusion of sitting under a pergola with climbing plants and flowers.
The tower room adjacent to the Castle's red room is decorated with salmon and yellow paintings.
The ballroom's ceiling reminds of stained glass windows, while the green bedroom has a ceiling with striking geometric patterns.
Palazzo Castelmur also features a permanent exhibition of the Grisons Pastry Makers, an important part of Grisons history. Starting in the 15th century the livelihoods in parts of Grisons were not enough to feed the local population. Many young people and families left their homeland and earned a living abroad, in particular as pastry makers. In 1766, 38 out of 42 confectionery shops in Venice were operated by Graubünden farmers. When they were eventually expelled from Venice, they ventured all over Europe and Grisons confectioners can be found in 891 cities, from Copenhagen to St. Petersburg. The Castelmur family was part of this tradition: Giovanni of Castelmur’s father ran a pastry shop in Marseille, and Giovanni himself, after studying politics and law, ran a pastry shop in Nice.