After the Bündner Kunstverein began in 1900 to build up its own art collection, the Bündner Kunstmuseum was created in 1919 inside the neoclassical Villa Planta. Its collection focuses mainly on local art, such as works by Angelika Kauffmann and the Giacometti family, and also features recent works by Matias Spescha, HR Giger and Not Vital.
Villa Planta was originally built in 1874 and 1875 to plans by Johannes Ludwig for Jacques Ambrosius von Planta. The, given its location in Chur, surprising golden dome painting in Byzantine style can be explained by von Planta's profession as a cotton merchant in Egyptian Alexandria. From 1987 to 1989, Villa Planta was restored by architects Peter Zumthor, Peter Calonder and Hans-Jörg Ruch.