Biblioteka Jagiellońska is the main library of Kraków's Jagiellonian University. With more than 6 million volumes, it is one of the largest libraries in Poland and, in addition to functioning as a university library and a public library, also has the status of a national library.
Until 1940, the library was housed inside the Collegium Maius. After Wacław Krzyżanowski won the architectural competition held in 1929 for the new library building, it was constructed between 1931 and 1939. Under the direction of Polish constructor Stefan Bryła, modern materials such as reinforced concrete were used.
Many elements of the interior furniture were also designed by Wacław Krzyżanowski. The original tables in the main reading room are still present. This room was planned for 210 people and is illuminated through a huge skylight.
Carrara marble and alabaster were used for the main staircase.
Since its original construction, the library had to be expanded twice: between 1961 and 1963 to plans by Jerzy Wierzbicki, and, the second time, between 1995 and 2001 to plans by Romuald Loegler.