Gdansk's Town Hall is among the most beautiful Gothic-Renaissance buildings in the city. Its history goes back to the 14th century. In 1486, a brick tower was added to plans by Henry Hetzel. After a fire in 1556, the Town Hall was rebuilt by Dutch architects. It was the seat of the city authorities until 1921.
While the exact date when a clock was installed on the Town Hall tower is unknown, it most probably was during the first half of the 15th century. In 1537, a new clock was installed, this time using a 12 hour watch face, instead of the previous 24 hour one. The clock still present today dates from 1560 and was most probably created by local clock-maker Jorge. The top of its tower can be visited and offers views all over downtown.
The Gdańsk Town Hall was heavily damaged during World War II. Its reconstruction was completed in 1952. Its new 37-bell carillon was inaugurated on New Year's Eve 2000.