St. Mary‘s Church in Gdańsk (Bazylika Mariacka) is over 100 meters long and its nave is 66 meters wide. With a capacity of 25,000 people and a volume of close to 190,000 cubic meters, it is among the world's largest brick churches.
After a first wooden church was built on this site in 1243, the construction of the current brick church began in 1379 to plans of architect Heinrich Ungeradin. It was completed in 1496.
Well preserved until World War II, it was severely damaged during the storming of Gdańsk by the Red Army in March 1945. The windows were destroyed, its roof burned completely and many of the vaults collapsed. Reconstruction started in 1946 and the roof was rebuilt using reinforced concrete. St. Mary was reconsecrated on November 17, 1955.
405 steps lead to a viewing platform on top of its 78 metre high tower. It offers a beautiful view over Gdańsk.