The Gdańsk Long Market (Długi Targ) was established in the 13th century as a merchant road. It was inhabited by the most wealthy citizens.
Unfortunately, as most of Gdansk, as well the Long Market was almost completely destroyed during World War II. As the initial priority was to provide everyone with a roof, it wasn't clear whether Gdansk's city center would be rebuilt honouring its history and aesthetics or using large modern concrete buildings. In 1948, the rebuilding commission decided that six of the central streets would be reconstructed, the Long Market among them. Behind the "historic" facades though, most of them were rebuilt using 1950s floor plans.