The Neuchâtel Collegiate Church is located next to the Neuchâtel Castle, on a hill overlooking the city and Lake Neuchâtel. Its construction started around 1190. The choir, the apse, the lower transept and the bays to the east were built first and the construction was essentially completed at the end of the 13th century. The north tower, as well as the west rose window, were added during the restoration by Léo Châtelain between 1867 and 1870.
The Collégiale de Neuchâtel has two organs: the older one dates from 1870 and the newer one was installed in 1996.
The late Gothic cloister was restored after a fire in 1450.