The Berlin Philharmonic concert hall was designed by German architect Hans Scharoun and was built between 1960 and 1963. It was inaugurated in October 1963, with Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, conducted by Herbert von Karajan. The building complex with its roof reminiscent of a circus tent is one of the most important buildings of post-war modernism. Inside, the stage is at the center of the concert hall, making it the world’s first concert hall to place the music center stage. In addition to the main auditorium seating 2500 people, the complex features a smaller Chamber music hall for 1200 people since 1987. It was designed by Edgar Wisniewski using the initial project by Hans Scharoun as its starting point.