The history of the Museum of Communication in Berlin goes back to 1872 when the postmaster general, Heinrich von Stephan, made the first steps towards founding a museum that would collect, document and show the means of transport of all times and peoples. Opened in 1898, it is the world's oldest postal museum.
The building on Leipziger Strasse was built between 1871 and 1874 as a general post office to plans by Carl Schwatlo. In order to host the postal museum, it was expanded between 1893 and 1897 to plans by the architect Ernst Hake.
The building was renovated in the 1990s to plans by Henze & Vahjen and re-opened in 2000. The museum's collection focuses on three aspects: the history of transport, postal history and the history of correspondence.
Among its treasures are one of the extremely rare Blue Mauritius stamps and the first telephone conceived by Philipp Reis.