The Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtniskirche was built between 1891 and 1895 to plans by Franz Schwechten. With a height of 113 meters, its tower was the highest in Berlin. Heavily damaged during World War II, the tower ruins were preserved as a memorial against war. It was completed between 1959 and 1963 with a modernist building ensemble to plans by Egon Eiermann.
The church is illuminated through over 20'000 blue glass windows, created by French artist Gabriel Loire.
The mosaics in the vestibule of the old church were designed by Hermann Schaper.