The Jewish Museum Berlin is the largest Jewish Museum in Europe and was inaugurated in September 2001. The museum's main entrance is located inside the Kollegienhaus, built in 1735 according to plans by Philipp Gerlach. From there, visitors reach the basement of the new extension building via a black staircase.
The extension building was designed by Polish-American architect Daniel Libeskind and features a titanium-zinc facade, unusually shaped windows and many sharp angles.
From the basement of the extension building, a long staircase leads to the main exhibition.
The "Holocaust Tower" is a dark, high-ceilinged memorial room in exposed concrete. Daylight enters only through a crack in the ceiling.
The "Garden of Exile" contains 49 six meter high concrete steles on a sloping ground, on top of which oleasters are planted.