The House of World Cultures (Haus der Kulturen der Welt - HKW) is an exhibition space in Berlin for international contemporary art. It was founded in 1989 and is located inside the former Berlin Congress Hall.
The Congress Hall was built between 1956 and 1957 on the initiative of Eleanor Dulles, responsible for Berlin at the American State Department, as a contribution to the Interbau 1957 International Building Exhibition. It was designed by American architect Hugh Stubbins. The roof's concrete arches have a radius of 110 meters.
The exhibition halls and a theatre are located below the roof terrace.
The main auditorium offers seating for around 1000 spectators. In the 1960s, the Congress Hall was used for the opening of the Berlin Film Festival.