The residential and commercial complex Hackesche Höfe was built in 1906 to plans by Kurt Berndt in the tradition of the life reform movement. On a surface of 9200 square meters, all buildings together form eight courtyards. The Berlin architect and designer August Endell was commissioned to design the facades. The first one in particular shows a spectacular Art Nouveau style.
Neglected during the GDR time, they were renovated to their former glory between 1994 and 1997 while keeping the mixed-use concept.
Haus Schwarzenberg is a cultural center and location of the Museum Blindenwerkstatt Otto Weidt. It is also an exceptional street art hotspot. The murals shown here are by Bulky Savage, a New Zealand artist living in Berlin since 2008 and Ten Hundred (Peter Robinson), an artist from Seattle.
Right next to the Hackesche Höfe are located the Rosenhöfe. The historical, 250 year old complex was renovated by Dora and Hinrich Baller and reopened to the public in November 2002.