The Bode Museum in Berlin was built between 1898 and 1904 by Ernst von Ihne in the Neo-Baroque style. It was inaugurated on October 18, 1904 under the name Kaiser-Friedrich-Museum. It was renamed to Bode Museum, in honour of its first curator, in 1956.
The museum visit starts in the Great Dome hall with a grand staircase leading to the museum Café.
It is followed by the basilica in Italian Renaissance style.
A small dome hall in the Rococo-Style allows access to the upper floor. The statues Venus and Mercury at the beginning of the staircase are by French sculptor Jean-Baptiste Pigalle.
The Merseburg Mirror Cabinet was build between 1712 and 1715 for the Merseburg Castle by Johann Michael Hoppenhaupt. It served for a collection of around 250 pieces of precious metals, ivory, amber and porcelain. It was transferred to Berlin in 1925, and since 2012, can be seen on the second floor of the Bode Museum.