The parish church of St. Peter and Paul in Andermatt was built between 1601 and 1602 to plans by Johannes Schmid. At the end of the 17th century, local architect Bartholomäus Schmid designed the plans for its extension in the Baroque style.
Sculptures of the church patrons Peter and Paul are on display on the church facade.
The main altar is the work of the famous Valais sculptor Johannes Ritz and was completed in 1716.
The ceiling paintings were created during renovations at the beginning of the 20th century.