Disentis, Boarding school for young women
The scholarly history of the Disentis monastery goes back to the 8th century. It opened to girls in the 1970s and then had among 220 pupils. The Mädcheninternat was designed by Gion A. Caminada and built between 2001 and 2004.
Distentis, Gymnasium Kloster Disentis
Hermann and Hans Peter Baur designed the new school complex with spacious rooms and an indoor pool that was built between 1969 and 1973.
Disentis, Kloster Disentis
Brother Caspar Moosbrugger from Einsiedeln was the architect of the baroque monastery complex that was built between 1683 and 1704. The church was consecrated in 1712.
Disentis, Senneria Surselva
Senneria Surselva, located right next to Disentis on the road to the Lukmanier Pass, is an alpine cheese factory. The concrete factory building with its grassy roof was designed by Gion A. Caminada and inaugurated in 2011.
Flims, Casa Las Caglias
Casa Las Caglias was the first house Rudolf Olgiati designed and built in this sector of Flims which is today sometimes called the Olgiati district due to the numerous houses he built there over time. Completed in 1960, Casa Las Caglias was extended in 1972 by Casa Radulff with which it forms a complex today. The house is built on top of a rock that’s integrated into the swimming pool area !
Flims, Das Gelbe Haus
This old farmhouse in Flims was painted yellow until its renovation in 1997 by Valerio Olgiati. It has since then won several architecture prizes and is now used as a museum.
Peter Zumthor built three timber cabins as vacation homes in the hamlet of Leis, at 1526m above sea level. Their floor to ceiling windows impressively frame the landscape and the views on the local chapel. The Türmlihus was completed in 2013.
Sumvitg, Caplutta Sogn Benedetg (Saint Benedict Chapel)
After an avalanche destroyed the previous chapel in 1984, the Disentis monastery held an architectural competition that Peter Zumthor won. The new chapel was completed in 1988 and its shape can be seen in many different ways: as half an infinity symbol, as a leaf, as a boat or a water drop. The wooden pillars appear to support the roof like a large canopy.
OGNA by Matias Spescha is Switzerland’s largest sculpture with a length of 48m, a width of 30m and walls 5.5m high. It was inaugurated in 2013 and it’s freely accessible through a door-like opening in one of the walls.
Trun, Ustria Ogna
Design: Iso Huonder Architektur, 2016
Valendas, Gasthaus am Brunnen
Renovated by Gion A. Caminada in 2014
The history of the building goes back to 1485. The known architect Rudolf Olgiati had purchased the building in 1973. It was sold by his son, Valerio Oldgiati, to Ferien Im Baudenkmal in 2007. The renovations were completed in 2014.
Vals, Therme Vals
One of the most iconic works of the 2009 Pritzker Prize winner Peter Zumthor, Therme Vals is built from locally quarried Quarzite over the only thermal springs in Graubünden. It was built between 1993 and 1996.
Vrin, Stiva da morts
Design: Gion A. Caminada, 1996