When it was completed in 1936 for the League of Nations, it was actually the second largest building complex in Europe, after Versailles ! Today it’s the second largest office site of the United Nations.
The design was a collaboration between Julien Flegenheimer (Switzerland), Camille Lefèvre (France), Henri-Pail Nénot (France), Carlo Broggi (Italy) and József Vágó (Hungary).
Over two years, Miguel Barceló redesigned the 929 square meter dome of the Human Right and the Alliance of Civilizations meeting room with 35000kg of paint to resemble a multicoloured grotto. According to him, “the cave is a metaphor for the agora, the first meeting place of humans, the big African tree under which to sit to talk, and the only possible future: dialogue, human rights”