Casa Battló was originally built in 1877 to plans by Emilio Sala Cortés. After being purchased by Josep Battló in 1903, it was redesigned by Antoni Gaudí between 1904 and 1906 using a marine-inspired main theme. Since the 1990s, the building is owned by the Bernat family and this Unesco World Heritage site has now over 1 million visitors per year.
Gaudí completely changed the buildings facade. Its balconies are made of cast iron and have the shape of masks.
The large lightwell distributes light and air throughout the house. Its tiles are in different shades of blue with darker blues used in the upper part and lighter blues at the bottom, ensuring a more uniform distribution of the light. For the same reason, the upper windows are smaller than the windows on the lower floors.
The loft housed laundry rooms and storage areas. It is characterized by a series of 60 arches.